Sunday, June 28, 2009

Michael Jackson - RIP

The day after Michael Jackson died, I was driving to work listening to the many tributes on the radio while I welled up with tears. It's sad, but I'm sure the tears were just my "D'Angelo" side of my genes taking over. It is in our genes to cry at Hallmark commercials, sad or happy stories, and pretty much anything. Now, I'm just your run-of-the-mill Michael Jackson fan. But as the content of Michael's death filled the radio waves, the television shows, and news stories, I reflected a bit on my real feelings about the loss of this music icon.
I was talking to my brother today and he reminded me that we had a sticker on our shared bedroom door when we were little that said, "I love Michael Jackson." I kind of remember that sticker - I think it was from a gumball machine. Then the more I thought about it, Michael Jackson and his music are one of those "first time" memories for me. You know when you can start to remember things as a kid after the first few years being a blur of nothingness. Well, I had the Thriller album and would play the record on my record player & I remember watching the Thriller video on MTV at Renee & Dana's house. I also remember music class in 1st grade and hoping we get to sing "We Are The World." And then the more I thought about it, I realized I had very specific memories from different songs or videos throughout life - whether it be a Girl Scout event where we were all singing "Man in the Mirror" or waiting on a Sunday night at our house with Mark & Stephanie to be the first to see the new video "Black or White" or "Remember the Time." From gradeschool to highschool, I'm pretty sure I could pin point a moment with a Michael Jackson song.
I then feel bad when I reread my second paragraph (mentioning my bedroom door when I was little) and feel like I should rewrite it because of, well, you know.
Either way, the man was a spectacular artist and his music has been a part of my life and memories. And when a song of his is on the radio, you just can't help singing and smiling. It is a bummer he is gone, but I hope he is at peace now.