Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sentimental Journey

"Gonna take a sentimental journey, gonna set my heart at ease, gonna make a sentimental journey, to renew old memories....I never thought my heart could be so yearny, why did I decide to roam, gotta take a sentimental journey, sentimental journey home." Frank Sinatra
This weekend was very sentimental for me as you probably already recognized from my last post. I figured I might as well make it a true sentimental journey and go to visit my Gram & Gramps' old house over the PSU mountain. On my way to the house, I called the new owner to see if I could visit and take some pictures for our family. The new owner wasn't home, but was happy to allow me to scope out the place. The drive over was beautiful and I could have done it with my eyes closed. I will admit that I got a little choked up as I rounded the windy roads leading up the mountain - feeling this burst of closeness to my Grandpa. This house was such a special place filled with so many memories with my family.
I was happy to see that the new owners have kept it up so nicely. They made improvements to the house (from what I could see spying into the windows) and I was really happy with how the house and surrounding land looked. The only disappointment was that the garden was more like a weed/wild flower fest, but that is to be expected since no one has a green thumb like my Grams.
The best part of the visit was that the fresh country air smell, the birds chirping, the rattles, the crackling of the leaves in the woods were just how I remembered. And as I drove up the gravel driveway - listening to the sound of the rocks crushing under my tires, I couldn't help but feel blessed I have such incredible memories from my childhood and adulthood. I was glad I went because I felt at peace knowing that the new owners are getting to create memories with their friends and family and enjoy this magical spot that will always hold a special place in my heart.
Pictures are below for family to see.