Monday, April 28, 2008

Avunc George

Everyone has someone in their family that everyone wants to be around. For me, it's my Uncle George - AKA Avunc George (kind of an inside joke between the two of us). He is just one of those people that make us so happy when we're with him and everyone loves being around him.

I wrote a paper about him back when I was in middle school. It was about him fighting in Vietnam and how he had to eject out of a fighter jet to save his life. I couldn't even imagine what that was like, but back then I thought it was cool (today it freaks me out). You could say he is a risk taker or a man of adventure. He is a dreamer...but always making his dreams a reality. Everything from starting an organic grocery store back before the days of Whole Foods, buying a sail boat and living in the Caribbean, getting his PhD and working for the United Nations, to traveling around the world promoting world peace. When I describe him to people who don't know him, I call him the "Peace Maker" or the "Humanitarian." He makes me very proud. I have links to two of his important efforts on the side of this blog: The International Day of Peace Vigil & the Friends of Danang. You should check them out and participate in some way.
I love getting to see him when I'm in Pittsburgh. He's a loving, caring, and wonderful man who loves his family so much and we love him too.