Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rattlesnake Pike & My Grandparents

I recently came across this picture of my grandparent's house on Rattlesnake Pike in Julian, PA. Julian is in central Pennsylvania by Penn State University - surrounded by mountains and country side. My grandpa (my hero) designed this house and my grandparents moved there in 1978 when they retired. They recently sold this house a few years ago and now live in Pittsburgh, but from time to time I find myself thinking about all the wonderful memories from my visits to Rattlesnake Pike.

To name my top 10...
1) The fresh country air flowing through the porch, ringing the windchimes
2) Weeding the garden with my grandpa while listening to the Pirates game on the radio
3) My grandma humming in the garden pruning her beautiful roses
4) Hikes in the woods with my grandma naming the birds who are chirping and pointing out the wild flowers along the path
5) Week-long summer visits & the daily agenda of outdoor chores
6) Sled riding with the family at Christmas
7) My brother and I squeeling with excitement as we circled the bend to their gravel driveway
8) Skits, games, and swimming with my cousins
9) Tractor rides
10) Weekend, afternoon naps on the living room couch when I visited from Penn State

I feel so lucky to have wonderful grandparents. My Grandma is turning 87 next week and my Grandpa will be 89 in September and I'm just so happy to have them in my life. They make me smile and I love every opportunity to talk with them and visit.

There are so many things that make me think of them daily - when I get excited about work, I think about my Grandpa since that was something he always told me to make sure I had. When I garden or look at beautiful flowers I think of my green thumb Grandma.

I love them so much!