Monday, June 16, 2008

My Tennis Coach

I found out today that my high school tennis coach, Maureen Collins, passed away after battling cancer. I am extremely saddened by this news - I had just found out yesterday that her cancer had returned and she was in grave condition. I had tried to get in touch today and then found out she passed this afternoon. In honor of my coach, mentor, and friend...

I met MK (that was her name to us since she was Miss Kennedy at the time) when I was in 8th grade. She came to South Park Middle School to recruit for the high school tennis team. I had never picked up a racket and had no idea what I was getting into, but she must have been a good recruiter because I decided tennis was going to be my sport and to see me on the court.

I should also tell you that MK was my 9th grade English teacher. My tennis coach being my English teacher made 9th grade English a piece of cake. I was never bad in English but I will say that I did get special treatment, and I didn't complain.

MK was a bit of a worrier - as a freshman, I didn't really get to play so I'd have to keep MK from getting nervous before a big match. I gave her a quote that helped me to stay calm, "Today is the Tomorrow that worried you Yesterday, and All is Well." I went back to visit her in 2003 and found that quote still on her desk in South Park High School. She said she never moved it since 1992.

MK soon became MC (Mrs. Collins) and through those 4 years of tennis and working my way to the top (well almost the top, some young tennis phenom joined the team during my senior year so I ended up at #2) MC became more than a coach or teacher. She was a mentor, cheerleader, and friend.

When I look back in life, there are a handful of people that stick out as having a tremendous impact - they are the ones that saw something in me, pushed me to go further, cared, and helped me along the way to meet my goal. For those people, I owe so much because they helped me become who I am today. MC was one of those people. Everything from making me a better tennis player, a better team captain, and a better person. She gave up her free time to make us all better. There is a quote she always said when we played doubles, "United we stand...divide and conquer!" That was her spirit - caring, yet fiesty. I can still hear her say it and how she said it.

I Googled Mrs. Collins tonight and actually came across an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune that showed her being one of the 101 local teachers in Pittsburgh to be recognized as Teachers of Excellence in February 2008. While she retired from tennis coaching a few years ago, it is evident that she continues to be the respected coach/teacher in the classroom.

I'm going to add two pictures - one from senior recognition day 1996 and the other from 2003 when I came back to SPHS to visit. She had just gone through her first fight with cancer and was in remission. I will miss her, but will hold all she taught me in my heart forever!