Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Sweet That's Bitter

I had been too nervous to write anything about the Phillies since they won the division - a little superstitious, so I waited until today. You see Brian and I watch the Phillies all season long. I'm the one who cheers out loud, jumps out of my seat, and provides the positive reinforcement to the team through the television (it really helps). Brian's the one that laughs at my cheering, sits quietly watching, and goes to bed early if they are losing. While I knew the Phillies would go all the way, Brian just couldn't let his heart go there because of the fear of it being broken. That apparently is the result of a long time Philadelphia fan.

So, Brian and I sat watching the last 3.5 innings of game 5 in our house. Nothing was different. I was still cheering, jumping, and telling the team how good they were doing through the TV, and Brian sat with a smirk on his face (smirking at me) - and I could sense the doubt coming from him. But then it happened...THEY WON! The Phillies are 2008 World Series champions! We were so excited. We could hear all the horns from cars passing by and on TV you could see the mobs of fans filling the streets of Philadelphia. What a moment!

But then it hit us. That very moment we realized there was going to be no more baseball until next season. Bittersweet.

GO PHILLIES!