Sunday, October 4, 2009

Everyone Has There Own Way of Getting in the Water

One of my favorite parts of the shore is getting in the ocean and riding in the waves with my family. Much of my family are pros at body surfing - my Gramps taught my dad & aunts, and they taught all of us. But one thing I noticed this year is while we all have the same goal of catching the perfect wave, we all have a very different way of getting into the ocean to enjoy the surf.

In October, the air is crisp and can be chilly so getting in the water requires dedication and a little courage. There are those like Josh who show up at the beach with a "nothing will stop me" attitude to get in the ocean. He kind of reminds me of the Terminator - blank expression, taking one step after the other without stopping until he is submerged in the water. Then there is John who confidently walks in and quickly dives in. Then there are others like me, Jessa & Aunt Charlene who take every step with caution, squealing with every step, then waiting until the numbing goes away from the sections of the body before we continue on. It was a little rough this year, a little chilly, but there is nothing that compares to a refreshing dip in the Atlantic to top of your day. Until next year...