Monday, November 9, 2009

Secret Love

Since I have been working from home, I have had the pleasure to take Val on her afternoon walks. Every day around 12:30 we would pass the postal truck at the end of the street, and every day Val would pull me toward it to just about jump in the truck. For the first few weeks I thought it was cute that Val just thought it was Brian's jeep and wanted to go for a ride.

Then one day, we caught the postman coming out of the postal truck. I, of course was embarrassed at how Val was pulling me toward the truck, and before I could tell him that the truck must remind Val of my husband's Jeep - the postman pulled out a treat and said, "Hi Val."

A ha! It all finally fell into place. The postman had said he has been giving Val a treat for the past few weeks when our dog walker would take her on her afternoon walk. So now it all made sense. I'm telling you, it is like a love fest! At lunch when we pass 2-3 postal trucks on the walk, you would think that her heart is breaking as we round a corner and the truck goes out of sight. She just keeps pausing to look back in hopes it will reappear - handing out a treat. I've even caught her pretending to scratch her neck to sneak a peek back in the distance.

It's kind of weird our dog is in love with the postal truck, but it still makes me giggle everytime she pulls me toward one.