Sunday, September 14, 2008

Happy 89th Birthday Gramps

It was my Grandpa's 89th birthday on Sunday. The crew in town gathered to celebrate at Manorcare (the nursing home my Gramps is staying at while he adjusts to his new hip). Gramps got all of his favorite things - hard candy, a book, and t-shirts with pockets. Simple...but the man knows what he likes.

He made his wish and blew out the candles that symbolized 89 years. He took a while to make his wish...long enough where we thought we had to remind him to blow out the candles. While he may be 89, he is still a man with purpose, and with that, he took his time to make his wish count.

I didn't ask what his wish at 89 was. For those who know my Grandpa, he is quite the accomplished man. And if you read the blog, you will know that with all his accomplishments and his perspective on life, he is 'my hero.' But he has had quite a physical struggle over the years, and what I love about him is that nothing seems to be too much where he can't overcome it. A good example for us all.

So while I wish he wished for a year of good health or to heal quickly and comfortably from his new hip surgery, knowing him, he probably wished for something thoughtful or generous that doesn't involve him at all.

So...using my 'force' powers via the internet. I am asking that you all join me in sending healing powers to my Gramps so he can go to the shore. See picture below of him and my Grams two years ago in Stone Harbor. While he may not have wished for it for himself, he really wants to go - so as soon as he is all better, we're going to go!