Monday, November 24, 2008

Jessa's Poem

I asked my cousin Jessa to send me her poem she wrote about our grandpa so I could post on the blog and read it whenever I want to.

The poem is framed and lives on the wall of my grandparents' bedroom. The history of the poem is that it was a school assignment years ago to write a poem about someone who was important to her and she wrote about our gramps. She read it at the memorial service.

Here goes...brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it as it captures him so perfectly.

Hobbling on unsturdy legs
his bushy eyebrows raised high
and dark eyes open wide with
anticipation.
His soothing words that always
remind me of what is important,
as we chat
in his picture perfect garden
or on Sundays
he flails his arms,
for his beloved Steelers
as if they can see and hear him.
He is our lighthouse, who leads us
back from darkness and confusion.
"Relax! Everything will be OK."
he seems to say,
and everything is ok,
and I am relaxed,
when I am with him.