Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Birthday Gift

When Brian asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said, "Make me a cake...from scratch." This meant no boxes or easy way out. I wanted blood sweat and tears with my cake. And that is all I wanted.

So Brian of course looked on line, wondering what to make. Asking every other day if he could just buy a box - and every time I just kept saying, "no." Eventually he stumbled on a cake called - Chocolate Blackout Cake. It consisted of chocolate cake, homemade pudding and crumbled chocolate cookies.

Below are pictures from the event. I did help him along the way. It is more fun when we cook together, so I guess that could be part of the gift. Now, before you get to the last picture, let me just say that the pudding did not get hard like it was supposed to. We ended up putting it on the cake anyway, but as you can see it ran off the cake, onto the cake plate, and then onto the pan that we had to put down to catch all the droppings. Brian was not a happy camper, but we ate it today and it was amazing. So moist and delicious. So while it looks like a disaster, it was the best present ever.