Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cheese Soufflé

I have been longing for my mom's famous soufflé and finally found the recipe and the courage to to make it. So this past Sunday Julie and I went to work separating eggs, double-boiling milk, flour, butter and cheese, whipping egg whites, blending the separated yolks, etc. This my friend was one of the most complicated endeavors that we have ever embarked on in the kitchen (well, Julie in the kitchen is a complicated endeavor in itself), and the bottle of Shiraz only made things a bit more challenging and at the same time quite exciting.
Anyway, after one hour and 15 minutes in a 300 degree oven the masterpiece emerged. And no Kenney-style cheese soufflé dinner would be complete without the traditional stewed tomatoes as a side dish. Wow, what can I say, it was everything that I expected it to be and the taste quickly brought me back to the family dinners that I remember like they were yesterday. Perhaps soufflé is an acquired taste because Julie did not care for it too much, but I loved it. Delish!