Friday, February 29, 2008

Perplexed

Weekdays start at 6:01 am for me. Well, to be honest, they actually start at 5:44 am -- for some reason we set our alarm clock ahead 17 minutes -- have never been able to figure out why, just too darn lazy (and forgetful) to change. A creature of habit I guess. Anyway, I digress. So when the alarm clock annoyingly SCREAMS every morning I roll out of bed followed closely by the puppy monster. We then trek around Glenside in the dark as Val does her business and I wake up. Then back to the house and as Val inhales her breakfast I clean out some email that has accumulated overnight while watching the local morning news...perplexed.

I sit watching the news at 6:12 am (remember, this is a routine so it's like clockwork) and can't help but wonder why TV news broadcasts put such an emphasis on traffic reports of all things. Fancy sensors and cameras showing average speeds, accidents, car fires, police activity, etc. But for the people on the road driving, why the heck would they care about traffic reports? I mean come on -- they're already in their cars and stuck in the mess! It's not like they have a TV in their car! And same goes for the afternoon broadcasts -- wow, these television traffic reports are a big help for the people already in their cars sitting in traffic. Hey Mr. TV Traffic Correspondent, here's a news flash for you, PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TVS IN THEIR CARS. But I guess if they did the roads would be better navigated as people watch the latest traffic reports on their way to or from work, right? Gimme a break.

A perfect example of a traffic report (look at the time):