Saturday, February 2, 2008

Chicken Parm to the Rescue

We had Christina and Travis over for dinner on Saturday - we were well overdue for a get together. When Christina has us over, she makes the most delicious dinners (Brian will rave about them for weeks) and last time was no different - she made the most decadent Chicken Marsala.

So as you can imagine, Brian and I were a bit stressed...what would we make to impress and rival the competition. We went back and forth on Brian's winning pot roast and my favorite kabobs, but the Food Network became our saving grace when we chose Tyler Florence's Chicken Parmesan.

As I have mentioned before, I'm not a big cooking fan so Brian and I end up doing all the cooking together (well, more Brian than me). It was actually fun making something we haven't made before. We made the sauce that consisted of onions, garlic, fresh basil, crushed tomatoes, and kalamata olives. Then we prepared the chicken - coating it in a flower, egg, and breadcrumb bath before pan searing in olive oil.

For dessert we chose Paula Deen's Peach Cobbler - it only involved half a stick of butter, so we thought it would be okay. We did serve Lipitor on the side.

Travis brought a nice Cabernet that paired nicely with the meal and we sat down for what we believed could stand up against Christina's Chicken Marsala.

I figured we were successful when both Christina and Travis got up for seconds. So I guess you could say, that we are tied 1-1. Not that this is a competition or anything, but the pressure is back on Christina.

We're looking forward to heading over to the Earhart's for the next challenge, I mean get together.