Sunday, March 16, 2008

MS Update

It's been 5 months since my MS diagnosis and exactly 4 months since I started Rebif - my disease modifying drug (DMD) - I thought I'd give you an update on how I'm doing since some of you have asked.

So far so good.

I inject myself 3 times a week - Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday either in my thigh, stomach, lower back, or tricep area. It doesn't really hurt - except in my thigh - but it goes so fast so it is easy to get through. Sometimes the drug makes me feel achy or tired (a normal side effect), but if I pop two Advil after I inject and when I wake up, then everything seems to be fine.

I go on this website forum for MS patients (patientslikeme.com) and see what patients are saying and I have found many people just like me - newly diagnosed, on DMD, feeling good, and with no other relapses since their diagnosis. I am positive and it is easy to be positive when you feel good and don't have a relapse, but it is all about awareness and knowing the facts. It is an unpredictable disease, but realizing that many people out there have been doing great for a very long time, makes it not so scary.

I will see my neurologist at the end of May for a normal check in. There is no plan to get more MRIs or other tests since that won't change anything we are doing now...so there you have it.

For those interested - pictured below is my self injector & my syringe in its packaging.