Thursday, January 31, 2008

Vegas, Baby

If you have never been to Vegas - it is worth a trip. I was there for work and while work trips typically don't allow for much outside of meetings, this one presented some opportunity to stroll down the strip, visit some hotels, and see a show. Below is a shot of the strip at night. A colleague of mine took me to the Venetian during one of our breaks. Absolutely amazing...you go into one section of the hotel and it really feels like you are in Venice. Coming up an escalator you see the site below. I thought the sky was really outside, but it is a painted ceiling with clouds that move. Apparently it turns to night and has thunder and lighting too (but I didn't see that). It really felt like you were in another country - such a cool experience. Below is another shot from the Venetian - the gondoliers singing through the canals in the hotel. It kind of takes a lot to impress me, but this was pretty spectacular. I didn't go to Paris or some of the other hotels so I could save some excitement for the next time I visit - hopefully with Brian or some of my friends.
I did get to see a show. We saw The Beatles LOVE Cirque du Soleil. It was a fun show - was expecting a little more of acrobatic wonder but it was fun listening to all the Beatles songs. If you want to get a flavor of the show - check it out below. http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/love/intro/intro.htm
I never thought I would like Vegas. Gambling is such a second thought while you are there. It just felt like it could be such a fun adventurous weekend by checking out the hotels, shopping, and seeing some shows. I'm looking forward to going back.