Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mrs. Kenney's Famous Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Brian always raved about this coffee cake his mom used to make. I never understood what could be so special since I was never a coffee cake fan. Plus, any food with the word cake in it is Brian's favorite food...so I had every right to be a bit skeptical.

A few weeks back Brian was craving some cake (go figure) and whipped out the recipe that had been tucked away for years and carefully mixed all the ingredients together that were on the exact card his mother used to use. Now Brian is the cook in the family (when we cook) - so it is normal to see him in the kitchen while I am no where in sight.

But it didn't take long for my interest to peak when the house quickly began to smell of cinnamon and sugar. This famous coffee cake came out of the oven with a perfect cinnamon, sugar crust & chocolate chips soft to the touch. I eagerly grabbed a knife to cut into what Brian had been raving about for years - but quickly got scolded for even thinking about cutting into his masterpiece before it cools.

It was agonizing waiting for it to cool - I mean agonizing. Every few minutes I asked and Brian patiently answered, "Not yet."

It finally became time for me to sink my teeth into this famous cake and it was everything that Brian spoke about and more. It was moist and fluffy with the perfect sweet combination of chocolate chips, cinnamon and sugar. I've never had anything like it. Mrs. Kenney would be proud. And since my first bite, I have made Brian make it for me every week. It takes only a week for it to be devoured in our house. The picture above is actually from today though. I made him make it for me before he left for a business trip. Brian asked that I leave some for him - he returns on Thursday. I hope I can do it...it is just that good.