Friday, January 25, 2008

Sad News...


I attended the viewing (Tuesday evening) and funeral (Wednesday) this week for my cousin, Monty Campuzano. He was only 50 years old and passed away from cancer. Julie was away so she was unable to attend with me, although I know that she wanted to.

Funerals are never easy, and this one was certainly no different. Its unbelievable how someone is here one day and gone the next. We had just seen Monty in October at a fundraiser that was held to help raise money to assist with some of his medical costs. Even at that time the average person would not have known he was sick. Being that he was always such a big (literally -- about 6'4"), caring guy, when I saw him that night it was like any other night, his smile was ear to ear and he jokingly punched me in my arm and almost knocked me right off my feet. He really was a gentle giant.

I was honored that his children asked Bob (my brother) and me to read at the mass. I went first and battled my way through an Old Testament reading (Wisdom 3:1-9) and Bob had the New Testament (Romans 6:3-9) and did a nice job (I think he had practiced beforehand).

Under the circumstances it was good to see the family. Makes you realize how important family and friends really are in life.

There was a short passage in the front of the program that they passed out at the funeral. I thought I would include it here since it did bring a certain sense of peace to the whole situation as I read it sitting there in church.

Remember Me....
To the living, I am gone;
To the sorrowful, I will never return;
But to the happy, I am at peace.
And to the faithful, I have never left
I cannot speak, but I can listen
I cannot be seen, but I can be heard.
So, as you stand upon a shore,
Gazing at the beautiful sea....
As you look upon a flower,
And admire its simplicity....
Remember me in your heart,
Your thoughts and your memories.
Of the times we loved, the times we fought,
And of the times we laughed.
For if you always think of me....
I will never be gone.

We'll miss you, Monty.